Friday, July 4, 2008

The Circle

When I tasted the forbidden fruit,
and found it clear and clean
and tasting of some unknown wine,
my head swam in the pleasure,
and the world swirled around me;
but when the circle was done
and the seed spat out,
to nurture in the fertile ground,
I hung limp and ashamed 
and bent to cover my nakedness.

When I tasted the forbidden fruit,
after asking myself why it was forbidden,
its fullness and ripeness filled me
as I drank in the pleasure,
while my heart pounded and throbbed unfamiliar;
but when the circle was gone
and the hot seed cooled and dried,
to sprout or rot in my soil,
I felt the pain of my pleasure
and crouched to hide my nakedness
.

When I tasted the forbidden fruit,
I understood why it was forbidden,
yet in the swirl all responsibility melted,
my duties of worship set aside,
and I loved the lesser god;
that circled around the greater,
and swallowed her whole in forgetfulness
but after I was drained,
and reason sought return,
I then noticed my nakedness.

When I tasted the forbidden fruit,
I knew that I was no longer a child,
that something in it changed me,
and innocence was no longer an excuse
because I saw the change and took it,
instead of running out of the circle;
and despite the pleasure and the pain,
despite the right and the wrong,
I knew all that had occurred
and yet sought to cover my nakedness.


When I tasted the forbidden fruit,
and I knew the greater god had seen,
I hid and I took her with me,
and when the greater god questioned
I placed the blame on her;
because in her was the circle,
and I could only orbit,
and hope our paths would cross,
and allow me to taste the fruit
and then rush to cover my nakedness.

When I tasted the forbidden fruit,
what I had known of good and evil
was only what I had been told,
and then what was once said evil
was shown not to be
until he circled me in guilt;
and I could understand the jealousy,
and understand the pointed finger,
but I could not understand my shame
as I noticed my nakedness.


When I tasted the forbidden fruit,
and grasped and grappled with the serpent,
and turned my words from black to white,
my thoughts convinced me of the evil,
and I sought to separate myself
from her, from the circle and its consequence;
in me the world began its decay,
from me all evil has sprung,
even so I pushed the sin away on her,
and stooped to cover my nakedness.

No comments: