Sunday, April 14, 2019

an acceptable loss

i woke up at 5:30 this morning with the words 
just let them go
echoing in my head
my first waking reaction was to ask who should i let go

and my losses came unbidden to mind
a mother a father a sister a friend and another and another
and the list continued
until i cut it off

i was on my feet standing by the bed
clenching my hands hard
squeezing my eyes hard
yet the tears still fell

i do not want to let the beloved go
to fade dusty and gray into my mind
to efface themselves until
there is nothing but a vague dream voice left

i want to rage against their leaving me alone
i want to blame someone 
me them the invisible god
for taking so many away from me

i don’t want the tears to dry
i don’t want my sorrow to go
i don’t want to feel all right 
i don’t want to get better

i want to remember the hurt
i want to recall the curse
i want to relive the fight
i want to rage in the pain

this is what makes love real
this is what makes love worth the price
a price that never is paid
at the cost of love and life and eternity

i don’t want to let go
i want them to suffer with me as they suffered me
i want to live in their sorrows as they live in mine
i need to tell them

i need to tell them what
i need to tell them what i never told them but i hoped they knew
i need to tell them what
i need to tell them to never go away and leave me waiting for dreams

this morning the sun rises in my window as i stand by the bed
my hands ache a little
my cheeks are burning as the tears dry
i want to return to sleep

where maybe their voices will speak aloud again
and where maybe i can talk of the things
that mattered and didn’t matter that happened and didn’t happen
and maybe awake rested and prepared for another day alone


jeg.

9/19/18

No comments: