Sunday, April 21, 2019

easter sunday




on an easter morning in the 50s
my sister and i received 
a large easter basket each
the crowning glory
was a huge chocolate bunny
hollow and waiting to be eaten

but i could not eat mine
first was the dreary inevitable
of an easter sunday high mass
with the chanting and the incense
the pageantry and the raiments
the liturgy and the sermon

my heart and soul grew faint
at the thought of being wedged
between my mother and her friends
on the pew in their easter finery
with their latest hairsprayed hairstyles
and reeking of pungent perfume

i carried the chocolate bunny
and hid it in the backseat of the car
under tissues and it cowered
all through mass as my father 
sat and smoked and read the paper
as the warm spring day heated up

after mass we were greeted
with an unwholesome mess
of melted bunny and tissue
fearful of my parents’ anger
i managed to spread the mess
and covered my hands and shirt

it could not be hidden
once we returned home but
i cannot recall what punishment
was meted out to the devilish boy
i suppose my father tried to clean
the seat but the stain remained

often during road trips long and short
my sister and i avoided the spot
as if it were lava on the seat
we’d sit on our separate sides
me on the left and she on the right
pressed against the door panels

a year later my father sold the car
the stain a shadow of itself 
the place where still we would not sit
perhaps another child again avoided
the melted chocolate bunny stain
that spread beneath mercury’s gaze


jeg.

4/21/19

No comments: