Sunday, April 14, 2019

beautiful mask

i have a beautiful mask
i wear it from the moment i venture outside
until the the moment i enter the house
it seldom fails me
i have lived behind it so long
that even i believe its lie

my mask is carefully created
it ages as i age and seems to match 
the truth of the outside with the inside
still it is thin in spots
and someday i need to retouch the paint
and reenforce the lie

i wish my mask were more beautiful
but it is what i made it long ago
when i step into the house
i see my mask in the mirror
and it satisfies the glance at first
to stare longer exposes the lie

the mask fools most people
at least that is what i tell myself as i
stride bold out in the world alone
among the other masks
some young some old some pure some evil
all concealing some lie

my mask will die with me
will i be aware of the face left behind
as i leave the life as i leave the body
will the mourners drop their masks
or will they clasp them ever tighter
to respect my lie



jeg.

3/19

No comments: