Sunday, April 14, 2019

the process of mourning

i find myself ever deeper
in the process of mourning
each loss chips away a bit more
of the stone surrounding my heart
leaving it more vulnerable
and more aware of loss

the time past present and future
blur into an expanding sea 
of the lost the losing and those to be lost
the weakening ties wrapt in tendrils
swirled in eddies swept by tides
disappearing into the deep

the easy explanations made complicated
the simple plans made obscure
decisions right or neutral or wrong
turned by my mind into and out of each other
recall regret remorse
the mystery becomes the mundane

each loss makes me weaker
and less prepared to face that loss
and less prepared to face the next loss
until i lay helpless cringing in fear
of losing those whom i love
even at the thought of their love

the weakness envelopes me
the sea of loss pulls me deeper
as i struggle to surface
an arm a hand a finger
the salt of this sea from my tears
the brine from my heart

and i settle in this depth
waiting for the next blow to fall
know that it is inevitable and obscene
not knowing from which direction it comes
not knowing which piece it will take from me
yet knowing i will shrink further and further

jeg.

5/10/18

No comments: