Sunday, April 14, 2019

my father's voice

i awoke at 3:00 a.m. 
with my father’s voice echoing in my head
i lay there for some time
trying to bring it back again

i have not heard
my father speak in over 25 years
the last i saw of him
both of us tearful as i drove away

while he lay dying
he wrestled death in silence
gripping my hand in an iron grasp
blankly unseeing unhearing unspeaking

i wondered if he knew whose hand he gripped
i hoped he knew i’d finally come home again
my selfish heart
my willful soul

when i heard his voice
i forced myself awake
and opened my eyes blind in the darkness
only to waken from the dream alone

he had called my name
whether in need
whether is anger
i will never know

clear
resonate
decisive
commanding

i lay there shivering for some time
afraid to wake afraid to sleep
until finally i turned
and waited to hear again


jeg

11/17

No comments: