Sunday, April 14, 2019

the moment of value

i got a new chair the other day
now i sit in it all the time as i read 
my old chair is angled beside
a miss-matched couple they stand

i see the old chair out of the corner of my eye
does it seem sullen and disappointed and grim
or is it sad and left out and hopeless
who knows what goes on in a chair’s mind

does it imagine that i’ll return to it someday
to be held comfortably in its arms
it was intimately formed to me
my head my hips my legs settled within

in my life i have had many chairs
new and old and whole and broken
ones bought ones given and ones stolen
all enslaved to do my bidding and be on call

can how i treat possessions be compared 
to how i treat those who are beloved
used and discarded and replaced and gone
treasured and wasted as all before

i am a taker and not a giver
i am a user and not to be used
i am a possessor and not possessed
only to me do all of my moments have value

jeg.

3/18/18

No comments: